I am joined today from Holland by a long-time soccer friend, colleague, and fellow builder who continues to push the envelope of what’s possible: Kephern Fuller.
After founding a club named Joga SC on the east coast of the United States in 2010 and operating it in the DC area until 2016, he moved overseas and took his business with him.
Kephern and I have had many discussions over the years, and naturally, one recurring theme is the nature of soccer in America. Specifically, that you are not allowed to build your business here as you see fit and have it merit its way in the marketplace. Instead, how far you can take your business is at the whims of a gatekeeper.
Today’s discussion is not really centered on that, though. But rather, it’s an exploration of a variety of topics, some of which include:
- The mentality of players and how disconnected most of them are from the reality of what it takes to “make it.”
- Should a young kid be signing with MLS or not? What are the pros and cons associated with that?
- What do we make of Messi here in MLS and his performances thus far?
- We talk about the ubiquitous and prolific suburban soccer culture that’s everywhere to be seen.
- We also address some myths. For example, the idea that we somehow need a hundred years of league history in order to open things up and be great, or the myth that Americans only support winners.
- We also talk about how magic has nothing to do with promotion and relegation being the solution to all the meaningful problems.
- And a few other surprises are in store for you.
Folks, it’s a good one. And as usual, yes, believe it or not, all of these things impact you. Having both a broad and deep understanding of the ecosystem enables you to navigate it better.
Speaking of which, the two products that sponsor this episode will directly help you, whether you are a coach or a parent of a player. So please, have a listen because I know it can help you.
Premium Education for either Coaches or Parents
If you are a coach or a parent of a player, we’ve also codified and made available the remarkable work of a coach who trained and shepherded many, many players from the age of 9 all the way to graduating them to being professionals.
The products that show you how this was done, is what sponsors this episode.
Get aboard a proven path, a legitimately proven path, not something copied or synthesized from elsewhere, or worse. No, but rather a first hand account and curriculum directly from the source, from the practitioners themselves, whose work is unprecedented in the American soccer environment.
You don’t have to be lost and confused.
Learn to properly guide and develop your kid through the maze and pitfalls that is American soccer (from the folks who have actually done it).
Gain access at 343masterclass.com.
Never miss new episodes:
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on iTunes
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on Stitcher
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on Spotify
Coaching Education Program
This is brought to you by the 3four3 coaching education program.
Learn more and join over 1000 coaches using our proven possession-based methodology.