Jared Embick became the head coach of The University of Akron men’s soccer program in December of 2012.
Since joining the program as an assistant, Akron has the highest winning percentage in the nation. In 2018, Akron finished the year with its third trip to the College Cup Final under Embick.
During this conversation, we discuss:
- His first mentors and learning the game as a coach, not a player
- How Marcelo Bielsa influenced his coaching style
- Working with Caleb Porter and making their vision come to life
- Thoughts on college soccer and where it fits in the bigger American soccer picture
- Coaching education in the United States compared to Belgium and Iceland
You can connect with Jared on Twitter. Highlights of great Akron goals from the last decade are all over the internet. Gary Kleiban actually wrote about Akron quite a bit during the early days of 3four3. You can find those articles here.
Visit Bounce Athletics online to search products and take advantage of the discount they are offering 3four3 listeners and members. When you’re ready – email firstname.lastname@example.org to start the order process and mention 3four3 to get 10% off your first order.
Other relevant episodes and resources:
- Episode 113: Kai Edwards Addresses One of the Biggest Elephants in American Soccer’s Room.
- Episode 131: American Soccer Continues to Ignore Latino Leagues, but Are They the Missing Link? Javier Ayala and I Discuss.
- This Podcast Is Not for Losers. Listen to Find out How Anson Dorrance Develops Winners.
Never miss new episodes:
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on iTunes
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on Stitcher
- Subscribe to 3four3 FM on Spotify
Coaching Education Program
This is brought to you by the 3four3 coaching education program.
Learn more and join over 400 coaches using our proven possession-based methodology.